Kathryn McCall focuses on helping early stage and mature companies, as well as family-owned and life-style businesses, succeed. Her clients appreciate her pragmatic and strategic advice regarding their entity formation, business financing, and operational concerns. As outside general counsel for many of her clients, Ms. McCall advises businesses on a wide variety of corporate and other legal matters. In addition, she has extensive experience counseling businesses in all aspects of the business life cycle from the initial structuring and formation of the business to financing that business; hiring employees; corporate governance; day-to-day operations; negotiating licensing and other commercial agreements; equity incentive plans; and liquidity events. She advises corporations, boards of directors, investors, CEOs and CFOs, and business owners on a wide range of corporate and securities transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, venture capital, joint ventures, and corporate finance. She has worked with clients in a variety of industries, including: media; technology; internet of things; education; internet-based products, services, and applications; consumer products; retail; publishing; and health and fitness.
Ms. McCall also assists businesses in the cannabis industry develop the necessary infrastructure and organization to succeed while remaining in compliance with the complex legal and regulatory framework burdening the industry. Working with other members of the firm’s well-rounded cannabis industry team enables her to create a strategic and coordinated approach to not only business structuring, organizational, and regulatory matters but also intellectual property, tax, estate planning, and business and criminal litigation issues.
Ms. McCall is a mentor at Draper University advising budding entrepreneurs regarding the legal aspects of starting and running a business. She also speaks regularly at Draper University on legal issues facing startups.
Prior to joining Sideman & Bancroft LLP, Ms. McCall was Of Counsel with Carr & Ferrell LLP in Menlo Park, California.
- Representation of MeasureOne, Inc., a specialized data company focused exclusively on student loan data, in its debt financing and seed financing
- Representation of The Detection Group, Inc., an “internet of things” company which provides web-based 24/7 leak detection solutions for multi-story commercial and residential buildings, in its seed financing and Series A Preferred Stock financing
- Representation of Krimmeni Technologies, Inc., a cloud enabled, cybersecurity software company focused on secure communications for connected devices, in its Series A Preferred Stock financing
- Representation of Nexxo Financial Corporation in its Series A, B, C, D, and E Preferred Stock financings
- Representation of Raydiance, Inc., venture-backed next generation ultra short pulse laser company, in its Series B, C, D, and E Preferred Stock financings and in multiple debt financings
- Representation of PAX Water Technologies, Inc., a developer of cost-effective solutions for maintaining the highest drinking water quality in storage tanks, in its Series C Preferred Stock financing
- Representation of Samplify Systems in its Series B Preferred Stock financing
- Representation of Arbor Photonics, Inc. in its Series A Preferred Stock financing
- Representation of Active Optical MEMS, Inc., a pioneer in the development of MEMS (Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems) processes and technology, in its Series B Preferred Stock financing and in its debt financing
- Representation of Common Point, Inc. in its Series B Preferred Stock financing
- Representation of Aeluros, Inc, in its Series A, B, and C Preferred Stock financings
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of Astound Commerce Corporation, the world’s largest privately-held digital commerce agency, in its acquisition via merger of Fluid, Inc., a leading digital customer experience and software solutions provider
- Representation of PAX Water Technologies, Inc., the industry leader in developing and commercializing potable water tank mixing solutions, in its merger with a wholly owned subsidiary of UGSI Solutions, Inc.
- Representation of the management team of Pearson English Corporation, now known as GlobalEnglish Corporation, in the management led buyout of Pearson English Corporation from Pearson Education, Inc.
- Representation of Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC in the sale of substantially all of its assets to Latitude 38 Media, LLC.
- Representation of SIMCO Electronics, the leading independent provider of high-quality calibration, repair, and software services for test and measurement equipment, in a management-led recapitalization transaction
- Representation of Nexxo Financial Corporation, a provider of technology-based financial services for international monetary remittance, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to MoneyGram Payment Systems, Inc.
- Representation of The Detection Group, Inc., an “internet of things” company which provides web-based 24/7 leak detection solutions for multi-story commercial and residential buildings, in the purchase of substantially all of the assets of Dtection, Inc.
- Representation of Samplify Systems, Inc., a developer of data compression technology, in the sale of a portion of its assets to Integrated Device Technology, Inc. and to White Eagle Sonic Technologies, Inc. and in the sale of certain of its patents to Altera Corporation and to MOOG, Inc.
- Representation of Arbor Photonics, Inc. which pioneered the development of a proprietary laser technology called “Chirally-Coupled Core” (3C), in its merger with nLIGHT Photonics, Inc.
- Representation of Nusym Technology, Inc. in the sale of substantially all of its assets to Synopsys, Inc.
- Representation of Common Point, Inc., the developer of a powerful virtual construction simulation application, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to Bentley Systems, Inc.
- Representation of Palo Alto Medical Foundation for Health Care, Research, and Education (PAMF) in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Enigma CKM, Inc.
- Representation of Xora, Inc., a provider of a location-based mobile workforce management solutions, in its merger with Gearworks, Inc.
- Representation of Aeluros, Inc., a venture-backed fabless semiconductor company innovating serial, high-performance, high-density physical layer (PHY) and SerDes (Serializer/Deserializer) solutions in mainstream CMOS technology for the 10 Gbps datacom and storage markets, in connection with its acquisition by NetLogic Microsystems, Inc.
- Representation of Annie Chun’s, Inc., a manufacturer of Asian-style instant food products, in the sale of 70% of its capital stock to CJ Corporation, the largest food and entertainment company in South Korea
- Representation of Angstron, Inc., a venture-backed developer of atomic layer deposition technology for advanced semiconductor manufacturing, in connection with its acquisition by Novellus Systems, Inc.
- Representation of Quality Clinical Laboratories, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by SRI International
- Representation of Discern Communications, Inc., a developer of voice recognition technologies, in connection with its merger with Spanlink Communications, Inc., the leading IP contact center solutions provider
- Representation of Co-Design Automation, Inc., a UK-based venture-backed provider of verification and system-on-a-chip design technology, in connection with its acquisition by Synopsys, Inc.
- Representation of Kerbango, Inc., a venture-backed internet appliance developer, in connection with its acquisition by 3Com
Ms. McCall is a member of the Board of Directors and serves as the Vice President of Community Service for the Rotary Club of San Francisco, an international service organization focused on promoting peace, fighting disease, growing local economies, providing clean water, saving mothers and children, and supporting education at home and abroad.
Ms. McCall is also a member of the following organizations:
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- USC Marshall Partners (the premier academic support group for the University of Southern California Marshall School of Business and the University of Southern California Leventhal School of Accounting)
- Phi Alpha Delta (a professional service organization composed of pre-law students, law students, legal educators, attorneys, judges, and government officials)
- Beta Gamma Sigma (an honor society recognizing business excellence)
- National Cannabis Industry Association
- National Cannabis Bar Association
- Women Grow