Peter Colosi helps clients meet business needs by partnering with in-house legal teams and business units regarding trademark and brand protection issues. He regularly supports brand-protection efforts by creating focused and robust Customs programs and engaging law-enforcement agencies and investigators in criminal enforcement efforts. Mr. Colosi guides clients throughout the trademark clearance, prosecution, licensing, and enforcement processes. Mr. Colosi counsels clients on the creation of online monitoring programs and conducts takedowns of infringing listings. He drafts cease and desist letters based on IP infringement and assists with target prioritization. Mr. Colosi establishes and supports pre-litigation and litigation strategies and is experienced with all phases of discovery and litigation. He advises clients on licensing, employment and settlement agreements as well as federal and state-specific privacy laws, corporate data governance best practices, and anti-bribery provisions such as FCPA and the UK Anti-Bribery Act.
Prior to joining Sideman & Bancroft LLP, Mr. Colosi was a litigation associate in the San Francisco office of Cooley LLP, where he focused on complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on class action defense and bankruptcy adversary proceedings. Mr. Colosi received his J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall). Prior to attending law school, he worked as a federal government intelligence community consultant for Booz Allen Hamilton in McLean, Virginia. He graduated with a B.S. in physics from James Madison University.
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc., a leading manufacturer of network hardware, in coordinating criminal enforcement of the anti-counterfeit trafficking statute, which resulted in more than 30 criminal convictions from 2007 to the present
- Representing a major technology company (cellphones, semiconductors and other products) in counterfeit investigations and engagement with Customs and law enforcement
Sales and Discount Fraud
- Representing a leading manufacturer of computer hardware in promoting criminal discount fraud matters with law enforcement involving significant fraud schemes targeting sales discount programs;
silver plattereddiscount fraud cases to law enforcement in various jurisdictions and obtained cooperation and federal investigations
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc., in promoting discount fraud cases with law enforcement in significant fraud schemes that targeted sales discount programs
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc., a leading manufacturer of network hardware, in promoting Brand Protection and warranty fraud cases with law enforcement, which has entailed working with the FBI, ICE, and other law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors in more than twenty states, U.K., and Canada
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc., in a civil case in Orange County as a plaintiff, against companies and individuals, alleging warranty fraud and discount fraud schemes
Civil Litigation Representations
- Representation of leading manufacturers of consumer electronic products against distributors in multimillion-dollar dollar fraud and misappropriation of trade secrets claims involving employee bribery and unauthorized product bundling and labeling