Béatrice Martinet is a lawyer at the Paris and California bars, with more than 10 years of experience in each of these jurisdictions. Béatrice Martinet’s practice focuses primarily on intellectual property litigation, arbitration and transactional work for clients in a wide range of industries, including technology, software, publishing, pharmaceutical, entertainment, cosmetics, fashion, and the food and beverage sector.
Ms. Martinet manages major trademark portfolios for entities of all sizes, from startups to Fortune 500 companies, and represents clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the equivalent venues in France and Europe. In addition, she drafts and negotiates trademark, copyright and e-commerce assignments in the entertainment, cosmetics, and food and beverage industries. She advises U.S. and European companies on gray market strategies and brand enforcement generally, and specifically develops tailored enforcement plans for clients, filing EU and US customs applications and assisting government agencies in the enforcement of client trademarks based on those applications. Due to her active practice before French and American courts, she is also an expert in transnational trademark cases involving questions of French and American law.
Ms. Martinet has particular expertise in assisting trademark owners and online platforms in connection with e-commerce, Internet intermediary liability issues, privacy issues, and related intellectual property and information technology matters.
Ms. Martinet graduated with honors from the University of Paris Pantheon Assas (France) and Libera Università Degli Studi Sociali (Rome, Italy) and continues to collaborate with Stanford University as a Transatlantic Technology Law Forum (TTLF) Fellow. Her TTLF thesis, “Internet Intermediaries’ Liability for Copyright and Trademark Infringement: Reconciling the US and EU approaches” is posted at the Stanford Law School site.
Prior to joining Sideman & Bancroft in 2014, and founding Sideman & Bancroft Europe in 2020, Ms. Martinet practiced for ten years in France, notably in the Paris intellectual property departments of two large international law firms, Salans (now Dentons) and Bird & Bird.
Ms. Martinet’s native languages are French and Italian; she is fluent in English, and conversant in Spanish as well.
Intellectual Property Counseling
- Advised various ISPs, social media and other Internet intermediaries with liability issues (copyright and trademark infringement, defamation, privacy, etc.) relating to third party content in Europe and in the US
- Filed several trademarks in France, Europe (CTM) and the US for different start-ups and larger companies in the tech and media industry, and assisted with the enforcement of these trademarks
- Advised a major US-based company in the sportswear industry in relation to the sale of infringing products on major French and US-based online auction websites
- Advised an Italian telecom company in relation to their planned advertising campaign (false advertising and privacy)
Intellectual Property Enforcement
- Advised several US- and EU-based companies on the enforcement of their rights at the borders. Set up various IP infringement and gray market cross-border strategies, and filed various domestic and EU-wide requests for intervention with French customs
- Assisted a US-based company in the catering industry with a DMCA claim; obtained a TRO and favorable settlement
- Represented a large French company in the cosmetic industry against a large US-based online auction website before the Paris Court regarding the sale of infringing products on the website
- Represented a US pharmaceutical company and its French subsidiary before the International Chamber of Commerce and obtained a favorable settlement in a patent infringement matter involving the interpretation of a patent licensing agreement
- Represented a US-based company in the computer technology industry before several courts in France and obtained favorable judgments in various copyright, design and trademark infringement matters
- Represented a French haute couture company and obtained several favorable judgments relating to the infringement of their copyrights, trademarks and designs
- Obtained several favorable judgments for a well-known Italian designer in relation to the infringement of his designs
- Obtained a favorable judgment for a well-known Italian soccer player against a major French newspaper in a defamation matter
Ms. Martinet is an active member of the intellectual property community and is a frequent speaker at IP-related conferences. She is a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), the Intellectual Property section of the American Bar Association, and the San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association. Ms. Martinet was the Trademark Chair on the 2018-2019 Advisory Board of the San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association.
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2003, and to the California State Bar in 2013.
Listed in the World Trademark Review’s List of The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2019-2024
Northern California Super Lawyers: 2020-2023
Listed in Northern California Rising Stars: 2018
- Libera Università Degli Studi Sociali (Rome, Italy) and Universite Jean Moulin Lyon III (Lyon, France) J.D., honors, 2000
- Universite Jean Moulin Lyon III (Lyon, France) Master, honors, 2002
- Stanford Law School Fellow, 2012
- Paris, France