James Shore specializes in the protection of intellectual property rights and the implementation of brand protection strategies including channel compliance, the representation of corporate and individual crime victims, and civil litigation.
A significant aspect of Mr. Shore’s practice is the representation of corporate crime victims in the conducting of internal and external investigations, with the goal of referring individuals and entities who have committed crimes against the corporations to law enforcement agents and prosecutors, and in then seeking restitution recoveries on behalf of his corporate clients. Mr. Shore’s work in this area has focused on crimes involving counterfeiting, major frauds, employee frauds, and computer intrusions involving his clients.
Mr. Shore served as Deputy District Attorney in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties for 20 years, during which time he litigated hundreds of cases and was the lead prosecutor on more than 50 jury trials including prosecuting homicide, environmental crimes and fraud cases. He received commendations from the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors and the San Jose City Council, as well as the California District Attorneys Association, for his work as a prosecutor.
As General Counsel to a leading real estate investment company he managed securities fraud, real estate and employment related litigation.
Mr. Shore led a variety of public safety and legislative initiatives. As president of the California Prosecutors Association, he championed successful statewide legislative campaigns. He was a gubernatorial appointee to the State of California’s Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Commission and served under both Governors Schwarzenegger and Davis. He was also an appointee of former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer to the California Task Force on Home Security for Public Safety Officials.
Mr. Shore has been a featured speaker at The International High Technology Crime Investigators Association (HTCIA) Annual Meeting in 2011 and 2012.
- Representing a major technology company (cellphones, semiconductors and other products) in counterfeit investigations and engagement with Customs and law enforcement
- Representing a major semiconductor company in counterfeit investigations and engagement with Customs and law enforcement
- Representing a major software company in counterfeit investigations and engagement with Customs and law enforcement
Sales and Discount Fraud
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc., in promoting discount fraud cases with law enforcement in significant fraud schemes that targeted sales discount programs
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc., a leading manufacturer of network hardware, in promoting Brand Protection and warranty fraud cases with law enforcement, which has entailed working with the FBI, ICE, and other law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors in more than twenty states, U.K., and Canada
Business Crimes Defense Representations
- Successfully represented San Jose police officers regarding internal investigations and administrative and criminal matters
Civil Litigation Representations
- Representation of leading manufacturers of consumer electronic products against distributors in multimillion-dollar dollar fraud and misappropriation of trade secrets claims involving employee bribery and unauthorized product bundling and labeling
Mr. Shore has also been an active member of numerous not-for-profit community organizations. He currently serves as vice-chair of the City of San Jose’s $159 million Public Safety Bond Oversight Committee; board member of the Bay Area After School All-Stars; an advisory board member for Crime Victims United of California; founding President of the Walden West Foundation; and former board member of the San Jose Police Activities League. He is the former Chair of the City of San Jose Historical Landmarks Commission, where he was involved in land use policy issues including being a key voice in the successful effort to redevelop historical buildings such as the Montgomery Hotel and the Jose Theater.
- Co-author, "Primum non nocere: A primer for ethical global counterfeit investigations," InsideCounsel, 2015
- "So Many Counterfeiters, So Little Time," InsideCounsel, 2014
- "“The Risk to Both Human Health and Brand Integrity Will Continue to Spur Anti-Counterfeit Efforts That Allow Real-Time Authentication of Every Item Sold and Consumed Around the Globe,” Brand Protection 2020, 2015