Travis Thompson is an associate in the Tax and Criminal Defense practice groups. Mr. Thompson handles all aspects of taxpayer controversies against the Internal Revenue Service, the California Franchise Tax Board, the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, and the California State Board of Equalization, including audits, administrative appeals, and both routine and complex collection matters.
Mr. Thompson represents clients in litigation in the U.S. Tax Court, U.S. District Courts, U.S. Courts of Appeals, and California state courts. He has drafted petitions for Writ of Certiorari to the United States Supreme Court and represents clients in various white collar criminal defense cases.
Mr. Thompson advises clients on the tax consequences of Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, or other blockchain-related technology transactions. He also consults with clients on how artificial intelligence impacts modern business strategy and domestic and international tax compliance.
Additionally, Mr. Thompson advises clients in the cannabis industry on the complex federal, state, and local tax and regulatory framework burdening the industry.
Prior to joining the firm, he worked in two prominent boutique tax law firms in the San Francisco Bay Area. Before law school, he worked in business development for multiple Fortune 500 companies in the automotive and technology industries.
Mr. Thompson earned his undergraduate degree in philosophy from the University of California, Berkeley. In 2015, he graduated from Golden Gate University School of Law where he completed his law degree and his LL.M. in Taxation in three years. While in law school, he received the Rensch Scholarship for Business Leadership, was a Best Brief Award recipient in the ABA National Moot Court Competition, and received the Witkin Award for Excellence in Appellate Advocacy.
Listed in Northern California Rising Stars®: 2020
- Commentary, "New Pot Pages Seen as IRS Attempts to Normalize the Industry,” Tax Notes Today, 2020
- Commentary, "Pandemic Amplifies Calls To Fix Tax Deadline Rule Disparity," Law360, 2020
- Commentary, "Acting Taxpayer Advocate planning videoconference pilot," 2019
- "Cryptocurrency Owners Beware: IRS Letters are in the Mail," The Daily Journal, 2019
- Commentary, "IRS Bill’s Change to Appeals Process Targets Facebook Case Issue," Bloomberg's Daily Tax Report, 2019
- Co-author, "Do IRS Computers Dream About Tax Cheats? Artificial Intelligence and Big Data in Tax Enforcement and Compliance," The Tax Practice and Procedure Journal, 2019
- Commentary, ""Tax Court Considering Allowing Limited Appearances," Tax Notes Today, 2019
- Commentary, “The Business of Tax: The Almighty Billable Hour Versus Branding,” Tax Notes Today, 2019
- Commentary, "The Business of Tax: Big Data Is for Practitioners, Too,” Tax Notes, 2018
- Commentary, “The Business of Tax: Big Data Is for Practitioners, Too,” Tax Notes Today, 2019
- Travis Thompson writes “The Taxman Cometh: Update on U.S. Enforcement Efforts to Regulate Cryptocurrencies” for the ABA’s YLD Tax Law Committee newsletter
- "The Student-Loan Interest Deduction: It’s Time for a Change," Young Lawyers Division, Tax Law Committee Newsletter, Fall, 2017