Monica Mazzei is a Certified Family Law Specialist representing clients in the Bay Area, with a concentration in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, as well as Los Angeles. She represents high net worth clients throughout the litigation process and in mediation. Monica has been named a California Super Lawyer from 2015-2019 and has been recognized in the international Chambers High Net Worth 2017-2019 guide for Family/Matrimonial Law.
Monica specializes in dissolution actions involving complicated valuation and financial matters, and complex community property and support issues, including international issues, dissolutions involving hedge funds, private equity, venture capital and privately held businesses. Monica drafts and negotiates cohabitation agreements, pre-marital and post-marital agreements for her clients.
Monica also mediates pre-marital agreements. As a mediator, Monica helps to identify the thoughts and concerns of both parties in a non-confrontational setting. Mediation helps clients discuss difficult topics which allows Monica to create a financial structure that works for both parties.
Monica takes a modern approach to the practice of family law – addressing various needs for her clients related and unrelated to their family law case. Monica has relationships with top professionals in the Bay Area such as forensic accountants, mental health professionals, real estate agents, financial advisors and business valuation experts. She also works closely with estate planning attorneys to come up with creative solutions for her clients and ensure their agreements reflects their current objectives.
Monica is a frequent lecturer and speaker on family law matters and a staunch advocate against domestic abuse in her pro bono work.
Monica Mazzei is a Certified Family Law Specialist, certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
Monica was the co-chair of the San Francisco Bar Association, Barristers Family Law Section from 2009 through 2010. In 2008 and 2011, she received the Outstanding Volunteer Award for Public Service from the San Francisco Bar Association.
Monica speaks frequently on family law issues to financial advisors and other professional groups.
She is a member of the Family Law and the International Law sections of the American Bar Association and a member of the Family Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections of the San Francisco and Beverly Hills Bar Associations. She is also a member of the Southern California Mediators Association.
Recognized in Chambers High Net Worth 2017-2020 guide for Family/Matrimonial: California
Named one of the 10 Best Attorneys in California by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016, 2017
Named an Outstanding Volunteer by the Justice and Diversity Center of the San Francisco Bar Association, 2015
Listed in Northern California Super Lawyers®: 2015-2021
Listed in Northern California Rising Stars®: 2011-2014
Selected as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Northern California by Super Lawyers: 2012, 2013, 2014
Listed in the Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, as published in San Francisco Magazine, 2020
Selected as one of the Top 40 Family Lawyers Under 40 in California by the American Society of Legal Advocates: 2013-2017
Selected as one of the Top 40 National Trial Lawyers Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers, 2014
Member of Mediators Beyond Borders
Member of the International Society of Family Law
Member of the National Italian American Bar Association
Member of The Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- Commentary, "The Latest Issue in Divorces: Who Gets the Embryos?" NYT, 2021
- Speaker on Love and Money, Morgan Stanley Speaker Series, February 2021
- Monica Mazzei interviewed for the “Divorce and Your Money” podcast
- Interview, Social Impact Heroes: How Attorney Monica Mazzei Is Helping To Stop Domestic Abuse, Authority Magazine, 2020
- Monica Mazzei interviewed for Bloomberg Law podcast, “Even Millennials With No Assets Want Prenups”
- Commentary, “A Prenup Is the Latest Must-Have for Tech Startup Founders in Love,” Bloomberg News, 2019
- Commentary, "Trump's Tax Law Pushing People To Divorce Faster To Save Money," Newsweek, 2018
- Commentary, "Millennial Millionaires and Their Prenups -- What They Need to Be Thinking About," Entrepreneur, 2018
- Commentary, "A Prenup Primer: What Silicon Valley Couples Should Consider," The San Francisco Chronicle, 2018
- Monica Mazzei and Anne Freeman discuss “Here’s How to Start That Prenup Conversation” for The Bride magazine
- Monica Mazzei and Anne Freeman featured in “Secrets of the Divorce Lawyers” for the Nob Hill Gazette
- "Love Money What You Need To Know To Protect Your Wealth Before During and After Marriage," Legal Update, 2015
- Cohabitation Agreements – “Prenups” for the Non-Married
- Contributing author, “Inside the Minds: Strategies for Family Law in California, 14th ed.” Aspatore Publishing, 2014
- Commentary, "3 Essential Money Conversations You Should Have Before Getting Married," Business Insider, 2014
- Commentary, "Tax Planning for the Divorcing and Newly Divorced," Reuters, 2012